Hannah Montana - A Review

This was an interesting experience. My expectations for this movie were running down the highway of bad eggs until I saw it... and to my great surprise I found myself enjoying it. I was flying down the thoroughfare of family fun, 90 miles in the opposite direction...

Maybe it’s a bit scary that a thirty year old man can admit such a thing, but I actually really liked it. As did my 8 year old niece who I caught singing along with Hannah every time the superstar burst into song.

Although I had never seen the TV series and had no idea what I was getting myself into I didn’t miss out on anything, the plot was simple but fun. Miley Ray Cirus (the daughter of the man who brought you Achy Breaky Heart and that very memorable mullet, Billy Ray) plays a 16 year old girl, also called Miley, who like some kind of super hero leads a double life where only a handful of people know that once she dons a blond wig and a pair of stilettos she suddenly becomes Hannah Montana - pop sensation and every teenage girls vicarious dream.

Unfortunately for Miley her alter ego is starting to take over her personality and the lovely Country Bumpkin she used to be is becoming more a Hollywood Pumpkin, evident in a fisty cuffs with Tyra Banks over a pair of shoes and turning up to her best friends birthday dressed as Hannah only to steal all the attention of the occasion for herself.

Her Dad makes a tough decision and while Miley thinks she is on her way to a Music Awards in New York he has the plane land in Tennessee for a two week Hannah Montana Detox. Miley has to relearn the sacred ways of country life and falls in love with her grandma’s farm boy along the way. Things get complicated when in an attempt to raise money to save her home town from an evil Mall Development word gets out that Miley “knows” Hannah Montana and she is forced to wear the wig once again for a benefit concert, ultimately leading to a good old fashioned “two places at once” scenario when Hannah needs to attend a banquet in her honor while Miley is meant to be on a date with her doting cowboy.

Add to the mix an English Reporter going through the town like a drug inspecting dog trying to sniff up her secret of double identityness...

I took the liberty of interviewing my niece afterwards.

Me: What did you like best about the film?

Niece: When she rode horses, the way she dressed and I liked her hat.

Me: What did you like about the main character?

Niece: She was as good actor.

Me: I noticed you sang along to the songs during the movie?

Niece: I sing to them everyday, the disc, its good for someone my age!

Me: What else can you tell me about the film?

Niece: Well, it was fantastic, and I really liked how they done it and stuff.

Me: What was it about?

Niece: Well, um, it was about Hannah Montana, and about how she had to decide whether she wanted to be Hannah or Miley and stuff.

Me: How long was the movie?

Niece: Long, it was too long, but I had no idea it was going to be long.

(Not exactly verbatim)

My Mother, who saw it with us also enjoyed the dancing and singing and my wife who didn’t see it commented “My favourite part was when I didn’t see it and went somewhere else. My least favourite part was not understanding the plot.”

So, already you can see there was something in it for everyone. Including those who didn’t see it.

But seriously, it reminded me of what I look for in a movie. When I sit down in front of a screen to throw away the next two hours of my life I want to be transported somewhere else, I want to be entertained and I want to be emotionally involved with the characters. So it doesn’t matter what kind of movie it is, whether its this pre adolescent dream of fame, wigs and make-up or an episode of my little pony and friends, if it brings a tear to my eye then the film has won my approval. And this one did bring a tear to my eye, and not the tears of “Get me outta here!” that I was expecting – but tears of understanding the teenage angst that Miley was experiencing during her ordeal and tears of joy that I will never have to be a 16 year old girl again.

I checked Wikipedia on our young heroine, following a hunch, to discover In an interview with USA Today, Cyrus was quoted as saying her faith is "the main thing" and is the reason why she works in Hollywood. When interviewed by Parade, she added that she attends church regularly with her family.

A couple of points before I fly off into the day and leave my pyjamas behind. There was no swearing in this film and the only “adult” concepts were those of a young girl falling in love so don’t be ready to cover any innocent eyes during this film, you can sit back and relax. And don’t forget to take my nieces advice, if you’re taking your kid, make sure they use the loo first!

I give this movie an 8 out of ten for pure family fun and another big 8 for a simple but fun filled plot!

Well done Disney!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Calamari and Me

Pimp My Hundred Bucks - Part Twenty Three

How to Turn $20 into $100 in Ten Easy Steps (Or at least how I managed to do it)